Monday, June 17, 2013

Chiropractic Care As a Part of Overall Wellness


I have been a big believer in chiropractors ever since I had a back injury many years ago. My first back injury came as a result of helping a friend move. The day after the move, I was in lots of pain and could not even bend enough to get into the car. He felt so guilty, he offered to help me find a chiropractor. Granted, I had never been to one, so I was a bit hesitant but after visiting a few, we found a local chiropractor that seemed nice enough. I was a bit skeptical still and he seemed to want to see me a lot; more than I felt I needed which is sad because sometimes bad practitioners can give chiropractic a bad rap.

Fast forward a few years to when I was working in the automotive business as a technician where I had to do lots of lifting. I developed a dull constant pain in my lower back, but thanks to chiropractic care, I fully recovered. I know of one chiropractor who suffered from constant headaches and we helped by a chiropractor leading him to want to learn more and actually become a chiropractor. My wife at one time was suspected to have a recurrence of a condition called pseudotumor cerebri which gave her agonizing pain. For some reason, we just didn't feel right about her having a spinal tap, so we saw a chiropractor and sure enough, she got immediate relief. We had just moved and had not had a chance to find a chiropractor in Mesa, Arizona where we were now living. We asked around and got a referral to a great chiropractor, but he wasn't close enough. Later, while going to a local store, I found a chiropractic office where we got decent help, but later felt that we were not getting exactly what we needed. At a networking event across town, I met a chiropractor who referred me to a great chiropractor who was very close to where I live. She has helped both my wife and I, and I continue to see her because I believe that chiropractic care plays a big role in wellness.

When looking for a local chiropractor, make sure that you are comfortable with how they practice. There are many different ways one can practice, for example some are more inclined to work with you on overall wellness, while others may just focus on your back issues. I prefer a well rounded chiropractor; one who sees the big picture and can make recommendations as it related to not only your back, but nutrition, exercise, and overall health. Chiropractic is actually great for pregnant women, young children, and the elderly contrary to what many might think.

Many chiropractors extend a complementary introductory session, so if you have not seen a local chiropractor, I would recommend checking into it to make sure you are on the right road to wellness.

No comments:

Post a Comment